Pavlos Mylonas (1915 - 2005)
Born in Athens in 1915, he studied at the N.T.U.A., graduating in 1941. From 1941 to 1945 he worked as a tutor at the Departments of Architectural Compositions and Building Orders at the School of Architecture, while also taking classes at the University of Athens School of Philosophy and the Athens School of Fine Arts. From 1945 to 1949 he undertook a graduate degree at the University of Columbia, New York. In 1956 he was elected Professor Ordinarius of Building Orders at the Athens School of Fine Arts, where he taught until 1982. His scientific work includes long-term research on the architecture of Mount Athos. Alongside his research activities he maintained an architectural design practice. He made announcements at many conferences in Greece and overseas. His written work was varied and includes monographs, studies and articles in Greek and international scientific journals. In 1996 he was elected a regular member of the Academy of Athens.
A selective list of works includes: The Thessaloniki Officers’ Club, 1951; Church and Library for the complex of new buildings for the Athens College in Psychiko, 1951-63; Thessaloniki Municipal Crèche – Agios Stylianos, 1960-63; the Block of Flats at 2, Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, on the corner with Irodou Attikou Street, 1961-66; the National Gallery and Alexadros Soutsos Museum, 1963-69 (in collaboration with Dimitris Fatouros); the German School of Athens, 1965-69; the Reconstruction of the burnt northern wing of the Vatopedio Monastery, 1968-72; the Restoration works at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (known as the Church of the Anastasi or Resurrection by the Eastern Orthodox) in Jerusalem, 1976-84; the Artistic Station of the A.S.F.A. in Rethymno, 1969-72; the Goethe Institut, Athens, 1979-82 (in collaboration with Konstantinos Mylonas).